In 1945, Lacey Gee of Independence, Iowa began a fly tying business. With some financial help and encouragement from the owner of Wapsi Produce Company, Lacey established the Wapsi Fly Company.
By the late 1940’s, business was looking up. No longer were there sales to individuals. Approximately 16 women tied full-time for several wholesale accounts. They produced better than 15,000 flies per week. The flies accounted for about 1/3 of the business. Packaged materials and bulk feathers made up the balance.
Wapsi has introduced many fly tying products: Lead Eyes, Wooly Bugger Marabou, Dyed Grizzly Marabou, Soft Tanned Rabbit Skins, Dyed Pheasant Skins, Mylar Cord, three sizes of Ultra Chenille, Razor Foam, Thin Skin, Foam Popper Bodies, Fly Tails, Sili Legs, and Hour Glass Eyes. Such high quality dubbings as Camel, Antron, Angora Goat and Superfine are all processed at Wapsi. Premo Deer Hair, Lead Free Wire and Lead Free Eyes are also Wapsi firsts.
Today, Wapsi fills 62,000 square feet with plans to continue expansion. Wapsi is pleased to be a part of a growing industry where we can count our competitors as friends.
- Wapsi Rabbit Half Skin Zonked £12.99
- Wapsi Natural Fur Dubbing £3.50
- HMH Starter Tube Fly Tool Out of stock
- Wapsi Moose Mane Out of stock
- Wapsi Moose Body Out of stock
- Wapsi Wood Duck £4.99
- Wapsi Squirrel Tail from £2.99
- Wapsi Micro Flashabou Out of stock
- Wapsi Flashabou Mirage Out of stock
- Wapsi Prime Mixed Waterfowl Flank Out of stock
- Wapsi Big Fly Fibre Curly £5.99